Thursday, July 21, 2011

Oregon summer trip (Day 5)

7/21/11 (Thursday) Brookings Harbor day 1 next morning

We drove around a few time and ask the gas station, and finally found and dropped Mel off at the hair cut place. I went to get the crabbing license, but failed to find the store Don said. The nearby bait store told us where it is and said only stores have computer linked to the state could sell an annual out of state license for $20.

I started crabbing in the afternoon using our crabbing ring. But I could not catch any crabs at all. A man whose Don knew selling the crab trap told us that we had to throw at least 30 feet away from the pier. But my strength was not strong enough to do that. Don asked him to sell me a bigger trap for $25 which would cost $35 normally. The 1st throw yield 4 keepers. I quickly hit the max of 12 crabs that evening. We baked 5 crabs that evening.

These were the views in our back yard. This is Chetco River.