Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Southern CA (Day 7) - Ghost Mountain & Julian


12/27/11  (Tues)

I started cooking breakfast (bacon and eggs) and  make instance coffee.  Also I prepared for lunch (pork chop with hamburger buns) one bottle of water, and orange juice and an apple.  I put all these food in my red
Bag.   We were heading to Home of Marshal South ( family live in the mountain for 16 years), it was
25 miles from our trailer (Peg Leg campground).

The entrance is a dirt road, you needed a high clearance to drive inside(but saw a lot of low clearance cars too), because the road had deep pocket and in some section one car wide.  When we arrived at the dirt road parking lot, there were already several trucks.  I took a couple of picture in the entrance before we start hiking.







 

The road was a very narrow rocky road and some area were steep.  After I was hiking for few minute I felt like I ran out of oxygen.  On the way up we took a lot of pictures, we needed water and resting before we can reach the top of the rocky mountain (it is about 1 mile one way).  We saw the house right in front of our eyes, most walls were collapsed.








Only few stone were still attached to the base, there was an area look like a small pool (Tom said that the family use it for watering the plant).  I guess this area was a kitchen with a water pipe near by.  We found a big flat rock, so we can have lunch on top of it.  After lunch we were walking around the area and took more pictures.














This was the little den where Marshal South was doing his writing.


  Before we headed back down the road, I saw there was a round cactus. Tom uses the dry stick to dig it out and he puts it in the lunch bag.  But he had thorn inside the thumb when he put the cactus inside the back. While I was waiting for Tom, I try to put the cactus in a better position; I ended up had a thorn in my left four finger too.  We both could not pull out the thorn; we just left it in our finger.  We headed back down to our truck and drove back to the entry. I went to use the bathroom (with no water).

  After we drove to Julian (small town famous with apple pie) there were a lot of winding road for about 12 miles.  We walked around a little bit then I waited in line in front of Mom’s Pie House which was the most famous for apple pie.










  I was in line for about 15 minutes (the distance of two store front).  I also picked up a honey which costed $16.95; I decided not to buy it because it was too expensive.  We had an apple crumb pie (whole pie cost $14.95) there was another apple pie store across the street cost $13.95.  One grocery store have apple pie for $11.99 which we didn’t know how long it had been sitting outside.  After I got the pie we were eating inside the store.  It was a cold pie, we though it would be warm. 

After we finished eating, we walked along the street and saw a candy store named Julian Cider Mill. I bought honey for $7.65 for 16 fl oz bottle, four stack candy, sour dog bones totals of $15.35.  On the way to our trailer, I told Tom we should go get some water for our trailer since I want to take a shower.  We found a place and fill up two water bucket and head on home. We have chicken and beef for dinner.